[Olpc-uk] Teacher Training Preparation - Saturday, 11 July 2009

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Jul 13 07:09:57 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 11:43 +0100, Dom Baker wrote:
> Hello mate, another thing i;ve been wondering, how portable are the
> files the OLPC creates, so for instance ,if you create a Doc on the
> OLPC, can you open it in word?

Write saves in OpenDocument format (ODF) so you can open it in the very
very latest version of Word (but I'm not sure how good Word's ODF filter
is, there have been various criticisms). You can, of course, open it in
OpenOffice without problems.

Photos from Record are saved as .jpg and hence can be opened by
anything. Video/audio is .ogg so on windows you need to install some
codecs, but nothing too challenging.

Pictures drawn in paint are .PNG so theres good compatibility there.

I think that covers the main "document-based" activities...

You can export any of these by plugging in a USB disk, opening the
journal, and dragging the relevant activities onto the USB disk icon
which appears in a pane at the bottom of the screen.

You can also do the reverse - take documents from a regular PC, put them
on USB, and import them into the journal. When going in this direction
you can even open .RTF and .DOC documents in Write. (but not DOCX)

Daniel