[Olpc-uk] OLPC (UK) Update - July 5, 2009

Lawrence W Pimm wpimm at mac.com
Sun Jul 5 14:23:58 EDT 2009

Week of June 28th - Brief update on a progressive week for OLPC (UK)

A week of significant progress for the OLPC (UK) team.

XO's Approved by OLPC (Boston) - Thank you Boston!

With a significant amount of work put in by a number of contributors to OLPC (UK), the group was able to secure an initial allotment of XO's for the September 2009 Pilot Class.  Thanks to the efforts of contributors such as Michael Jordan, Martin Dengler, Peter Robinson, Daniel Drake, and Amir Ansari, a completed proposal/application was accepted by OLPC Boston with an initial allocation of 30 XO's scheduled to arrive into the UK for July 14th - one for every student and the two class teachers participating.  Assuming the wider group of teachers at our pilot school fully take up the initiative and commit to assist in developing additional curriculum (where possible), a second tranche of XO's could be added before the pilot's start in September.  Thank you both to OLPC Boston, as well as to all those who put their thoughts and input in the application proposal that was assembled rapidly over the past 14 days.

Announcement of Pilot School - St Cuthbert with St Matthias CE Primary School

Can also announce the pilot school this week as St Cuthbert with St Matthias CE Primary School in Chelsea, as it has been selected as the 1st and initial pilot school for OLPC in the United Kingdom.  We wish to thank Stephen Boatright, Headmaster for St Cuthbert with St Matthias for his initiative and commitment towards taking on an innovative opportunity with OLPC.  We also wish to thank in advance the teachers of St Cuthbert and St Matthias who will be working through the summer to orient around the XO and Sugar in advance of a full class pilot in September.  Please take the opportunity to welcome Stephen and his team into the OLPC (UK) fold, it will be an exciting process working towards the class pilot in September, and beyond.

Again many thanks go out to a wide group of OLPC (UK) contributors in bringing the pilot school process into focus and being.  Time was provided again by Michael Jordan, Martin Dengler, Peter Robinson, Daniel Drake, and Amir Ansari, as well as with input from the wider group that continues to put time in and work to move OLPC (UK) forward.  Additional details will be forthcoming as the pilot is assembled through July and August, with regular updates provided through the pilot period in September through to December.

There have been several other key initiatives underway with OLPC (UK) including:

- further establishment of the OLPC (UK) Library project;
- coordination of the OLPC (UK) website and facebook page;
- development of a curriculum and application team for OLPC (UK);
- initial framework efforts in establishing a long term marketing/pr strategy;

In each case a number of OLPC (UK) contributors have stepped forward to take the initiative for the efforts being made.  We can always use more contributions from interested individuals and groups, no matter the amount of time (little or a lot), or other resources that can be contributed, it is all appreciated.

As we mobilize around several initiatives (September Pilot Class, Library Project, Curriculum and Application Development, etc.), there has never been a better time to get involved and active with OLPC (UK).  We look forward to keeping everyone updated and would suggest that any current contributor is available to open a conversation with should you be interested in coming forward and along.

Thank you to those contributors who have worked so hard and diligently, both over the past 3-4 months, and in the past 3-4 weeks as the key initiatives have come together.

Regards.