[Olpc-uk] BETT (again!)

Amir Ansari amir at open-edu.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 02:10:09 EST 2009

Here's some more information about the BETT show
(http://www.bettshow.com) in mid-January, and our possible role in it.
In case anyone doesn't know, BETT is the largest educational IT show in
the UK, held once a year.  It's a few minutes' walk away from our pilot
school!  There are hundreds of exhibitors, and many schools send a
representative - normally some poor teacher who's relieved to have a
day out of class! - to check out their wares.  Companies such as
Microsoft, Adobe, Toshiba have large plush stands, with speakers and
sessions.  Then there's the Open Source crowd...

The 'Open Source Cafe' - a modest 'barcamp'-style arrangement - is
being organised by Open Source Schools (a BECTA supported organisation:
  http://opensourceschools.org.uk/) together with Openforum Europe
(http://www.openforumeurope.org/), with possible aid from Canonical,
RedHat, Linux Professional Institute, Ingots and Google Open Source.

There're a couple of demonstration tables, a small informal lounge with
bean bags and a coffee table (and coffee machine!), backed up by a
large plasma screen, There are half-hour slots for speakers, and the
sessions will be recorded.

This is certainly an event where OLPC UK should have a presence.  We're
being asked if we want to send our reps and resources: some people to
man the stand over three days, some XO laptops on display, and a
banner.  Even more groovy would be some promo literature, and maybe
even a box full of Sugar-on-a-Stick USB freebies for teachers to take
away with them... ;-)

So, there are some critical issues.  Does anyone want to attend?  I'll
be there, at least.  (Not sure if I can make it over all three days.)
We ought to have some XOs to demonstrate (Martin?).

Do we have any promotional leaflets?  We have a provisional logo
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Marketing/Logos).  If we're there,
we MUST have a hanging banner (800 x 2040 mm) - but this costs money
(about £150-200, I think?).  However, it's a one-off cost since the
banner can be used in subsequent publicity events.

So the other question is: how to pay for some of these items?  Do we
have any benefactors in the audience, or should we pool our money...?

OSS and OFE are chasing funding for the stand (the total cost for the
event will be over £7000!), so any other contributions from attendees
would be welcome...