[Olpc-sysadmin] Deployment team task tracking

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Tue Mar 3 22:06:45 EST 2009

Thanks for the account, Pia! Basecamp is shiny - is it what you're using
for deployment tickets in Australia now?

Bryan, I'm guessing redmine is what you use in Nepal? That's a pretty
awesome endorsement for me already, and the "which tickets each person
is working on and how long they have been working on them" sound great.
Is there a writeup somewhere of what your setup looks like, or would it
be possible to get a couple quick screenshots/comments on how easy it is
to do things like...

* for a deployment user (teacher, for instance) to file a ticket
* for a deployment user to see and understand the status of their
tickets, or their deployments
* for a new tech volunteer to learn how the system works
* to get (email) reminders on tickets / watch tickets of interest
* to figure out which tickets are coming up on deadlines, and whether
any might be inactive to a worry-inducing extent
* to make tags and groups or other metadata-ish means of managing
multiple deployments and multiple volunteer teams at once
* to define and use a ticket workflow (for instance, if I say a ticket
must progress from "spec -> execution -> deployment -> pony" before
being closed, is that painful/impossible within redmine?)

To keep this conversation from dragging on too long, I'm going to
(somewhat arbitrarily) set Monday as the decision date and next Friday
as the launch date for whatever system the Boston-area pilot tech is
going to use for the remainder of this US school year (until June-ish
when our deployment school lets out). In the meantime, we'll be learning
a lot about what we want from the wiki and from Colin's Trac setup.

If someone - anyone - can give me server privs (vaguely stated - I don't
know what the requirements are yet) and permission to delegate use of my
account to others for the purposes of setup this weekend, I'll make sure
the install happens and will document it for (hopeful) replicability,
and shoot notes back to this list.

--Mel