[Olpc-sysadmin] wiki.laptop.org upgrade

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Thu Dec 4 13:32:16 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Bernie Innocenti
> Sorry if I reacted defensively, sending notifications to devel@ was
> our best practice in the good old pre-G1G1 days, but, clearly, it's no
> longer sufficient now.  Establishing procedures for notifying planned
> outages seems like a good course to me.

Agreed.  I think for the past 4 months or so, since we started to get
double our previous traffic, significant steady use of our sites by
Uruguay, and (in particular) a stronger dependence on w.l.o and l.o by
deployments and press events,
 * we no longer have 'safe' times to take services down
 * we should be extra careful to maintain mirrors or readable versions
of services durint maintenance of any sort
 * there are thousands of users who have never engaged with mailing
lists, active wiki chats, or our community, but depend on our
information and servers (wiki info, support, activation, bug tracking,
&c).

> Maybe this should be a topic in the next VIG meeting?

Definitely.

SJ