[Sur] [IAEP] [SLOB] Outreachy

Laura Vargas laura en somosazucar.org
Lun Feb 13 11:50:21 EST 2017

Hi Walter!

Thanks for doing this. I would personally love to present my candidacy to
any opportunity that supports the work and involvement of women in
libre-software initiatives.

So, definitively +1 for internships/mentorships for women!

I have read the links you sent, but I have failed to understand if with
Outreachy Sugar Labs gets more than 1 intern sponsored?

As for the funds request, since there are General Funds being required, I
understand we will need to vote on a formal Motion.

Regards,

Laura V

> +1 for me
>
> On 12 Feb 2017 10:53 p.m., "Walter Bender" <walter.bender en gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender en gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Unless I hear otherwise, I plan to submit an application to Outreachy
>>> [1] on behalf of Sugar Labs. Outreachy is an SFC program that helps people
>>> from groups underrepresented in free and open source software get involved.
>>> I'm also preparing a SL Outreachy landing page in the wiki [2].
>>>
>>> regards.
>>>
>>> -walter
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/
>>> [2] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Outreachy
>>>

>> I was not 100% up to speed when I sent this note last week. It seems we
>> need to come up with funds for at least 1 intern ($5500). I think it is a
>> worthwhile expenditure from our general funds, especially in light of the
>> many $1000s we have gotten from Google for mentoring students. That said, I
>> will also do my best to raise at least some of the funds from external
>> sources. But I do need a thumbs up (or down) from the Oversight Board in
>> short order.
>>
>> regards.
>>
>> -walter
>>
>> --