[Sur] [IAEP] [SLOB] Outreachy

Walter Bender walter.bender en gmail.com
Dom Feb 12 20:39:26 EST 2017

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Avni Khatri <avni at kidsoncomputers.org>
wrote:

> Hi Walter,
>
> What about doing a fundraising drive for the Outreachy internship? If
> there's an easy way for folks to donate, we can promote it on the SL
> site/blog and on respective volunteer social media accounts.

Sounds great. But we need to let Outreachy know ASAP regarding inclusion in
this round as we are late to the party. So while I am all for your
suggestion (maybe we can raise enough for multiple interns) we need to
commit as an org now.

thx

> Avni
>

> Avni Khatri
> Kids on Computers, Inc.
> http://kidsoncomputers.org/blog
>

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Unless I hear otherwise, I plan to submit an application to Outreachy
>>> [1] on behalf of Sugar Labs. Outreachy is an SFC program that helps people
>>> from groups underrepresented in free and open source software get involved.
>>> I'm also preparing a SL Outreachy landing page in the wiki [2].
>>>
>>> regards.
>>>
>>> -walter
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/
>>> [2] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Outreachy
>>>

>> I was not 100% up to speed when I sent this note last week. It seems we
>> need to come up with funds for at least 1 intern ($5500). I think it is a
>> worthwhile expenditure from our general funds, especially in light of the
>> many $1000s we have gotten from Google for mentoring students. That said, I
>> will also do my best to raise at least some of the funds from external
>> sources. But I do need a thumbs up (or down) from the Oversight Board in
>> short order.
>>
>> regards.
>>
>> -walter
>>
>> --