[Sur] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] [SLOB] meeting reminder

Adam Holt holt en laptop.org
Mie Mar 30 21:27:37 EDT 2016

On Mar 30, 2016 8:20 PM, "Walter Bender" <walter.bender en gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the current agenda:
>
> Agenda:
> 1. Google Summer of Code status (Walter)
> 2. Wiki Cleanup Party planning (Walter)
> 3. Request from Edgar Quispe to attend Traducción e interpretación en las
lenguas originarias del Perú meeting in Lima (Walter and CJL)
> 4. I18n manager discussion (Tony)
> 5. Proposal from Samson Goddy re i18n in Nigeria (Walter and CJL)
> 6. Sugar Vision (Lionel)
> 7. Treasurer position and process (Adam and Caryl) See [1]
> 8. Rules of the Road (Adam)

Thanks Walter.  Actual topic is: absenteeism of board members.

In short, proactive replacement of board members who become regularly
absent for whatever unfortunate reason (health, death, resignation, family
obligations, change of life circumstances, etc).

Sometimes life gets in the way (and eventually death) of everyone's service
commitments, and we should honor their past service if so, no hard feelings
as life is about change!

To keep us all moving firmly forward, I will suggest that Board ethics
presume voting very regularly (or actively abstaining, by email if nec) or
if that's not possible: for board members to kindly remove themselves from
the Board if they are unfortunately unable to stay engaged, for whatever
reason.

Certainly we hope no board members ever die, suffer mental incapacitation,
kidnapping etc.  However ongoing decision-making and dynamic governance is
severely disrupted by ongoing absenteeism, whatever the regrettable reason.

So in keeping with the board 2010's decision on this matter from a
different era, I will suggest that if a Board Member (1) fails to vote and
attend pre-scheduled Board meetings for more than 12 weeks, (2) resigns or
(3) dies, then the Board is empowered and encouraged to appoint a
replacement for this seat.

Finally, just a clarification that the Replacement Board Member would be
required to defend their seat during the very next election.

Of course the above is just a proposal, towards nudging forward the
efficiency and effectiveness of Sugar Labs' Board: naturally this (or any
such similar) will need to be voted on by the Board, before it can be
enacted!

> 9. Sugar Translation Projects Fund (Laura)
> 10. ???
>
> I am not sure how we are going to manage to get through the list in one
hour, but I'll try to keep things moving. Topics 1-3 should be quick. Have
some materials prepared in advance will help.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16jIFuZ9bX-Bv675BpA1KmcEcRcX4PRCOUEX0ICRUkOc/edit

> regards.
>
> -walter
>
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Adam Holt <holt en laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> During February's meeting I was assigned to report back during March's
meeting ideas on how to replace continuously inactive board members -- in a
respectful, consistent and most professional way -- to protect the vibrancy
of our legacy.

>> Then during March's meeting, time did not permit me to present this
high-priority action, ensuring our legacy and governance is purposeful and
on track.

>> Thanks all for keeping clean, proactive governance at the top of our
list, even if only for a few minutes, as yes even an oft-anarchistic
community of dreamers needs cohesive rules-of-the-road :-)

>> On Mar 30, 2016 3:56 PM, "Lionel Laské" <lionel en olpc-france.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Walter,
>>>
>>> As I said at last meeting, I would like to add a topic regarding "Sugar
vision".
>>> Will share a document proposal.
>>>
>>> Best regards from France.
>>>
>>>            Lionel.

April at 19:00 UTC. Please join us at irc.freenode.net #sugar-meeting (you
can access our IRC channel through the web interface provided at
http://chat.sugarlabs.org).