[Sur] [Localization] TamTam activity Spanish locales

Alexandro Colorado jza en openoffice.org
Sab Jul 2 11:42:16 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress en gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 12:44 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza en openoffice.org>
> wrote:
> > the issue is when is folk english, like I mentioned with the Crash, Slap
> and
> > the Chimes. Whcih could be easily confused with non-musical use of those
> > words and get lost in translation.
>
> Yes, this can be a challenge, but only so much context can be put into
> a developer's comment.  Do you have any specific suggestions to
> improve the developer's comments I proposed?  I've attached the
> spreadsheet again and once again provide the git commit link that will
> implement them:
>

> http://git.sugarlabs.org/tamtam/tamtam/commit/b49b14cf394f06e7ab788ff5ab9e521116a2a368
>
> Slap - The sound of something being hit
>
> Crash - The sound of glass breaking
>
> Chimes - The sound made by this instrument
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimes
>
> admittedly "Chimes" is a re-direct to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_bell so perhaps it would have
> been better to re-name the tooltip "Tubular bell" and use the second
> URL, but the end result is the same if you follow the link.
>
> I struggled a bit with one sound, previously named "Armbone",  but
> settled on providing this link:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_a_raspberry
>
> which conveniently has a video of the sound being made.  In my own
> regional  dialect of English, this would be known as a 'Bronx Cheer"
> and I believe it to be considered a rude sound in most cultures.
>
> If you have specific improvements to the suggestions I've made, please
> provide them, either to the list or as a ticket on bugs.sugarlabs.org.
>  As I mentioned, now is the time to do it as the TamTam suite is
> getting developer attention with the aim of reducing the extensive
> redundancy between the four PO files by producing a single unified PO
> file.
>
> I really should emphasize that it is not entirely clear if the unified
> POT file for the restructured version of the Tam Tam Suite will be
> made available before the 11.2.0 release.  We've already had the
> second release candidate published for testing (with a July 18th
> target date for release) and so while Honey activites do not generally
> follow the Sugar release cycle, we should consider ourselves in
> something of a "soft" string freeze for the purpose of the upcoming
> 11.2.0 release by OLPC.
>
> Alexandro, I would also like to mention that the AbiWord PO file is in
> urgent need of a thorough review by a native Spanish speaker, and your
> experience with OpenOffice would make you an excellent candidate for
> this important task.  Unfortunately the AbiWord Spanish L10n was in
> very bad shape (IMHO) when I uploaded it from their repo and I think
> it needs a top-to-bottom, string-by-string review to achieve the
> standards to which we aspire given the importance of our
> Spanish-speaking community.
>
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/es/upstream_POT/

> [...]

Sounds good, will do.
There are indeed many strings that can be 'homologized' between these apps.
We are also about to undergo a major revision of the strings.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español