[Sur] [SoaS] [realness] Sugar On A Stick for Macintosh

Walter Bender walter.bender en gmail.com
Sab Jul 24 14:29:45 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Carlos Rabassa <carnen at mac.com> wrote:
> Thanks Bernie,  Thanks Bert,  Thanks Pato,
>
> What a community!
>
> Three answers complementing and confirming each other in the same morning!
>
> (Deleted the copy to SoaS; I´m not a member.)
>

> Now I believe I have a very clear picture.
>

> If I have to reboot the computer from the usb drive,  I believe it is very easy,  I have no problem with that.
>
> It was a frequently used emergency procedure in the days where it was common to try to start the computer the usual way and finding there was a problem.
>

> But,  it is extremely inconvenient,  you lose the use of the computer for all other applications until you shut down and start again.

The alternative is to run Sugar in a VM. (My wife runs Sugar inside of
VMware on a Windows box and uses Sugar as if it were just another
application.) But it is a more invasive procedure.

-walter

> Many of the emulators we found when we started learning the XO without having one,  worked like that.
>

> One thing I still don´t understand:
>
> Cannot Etoys To Go be expanded to offer the rest of the applications in the XO,  not just Etoys?
>

> Thank you all again,
>
> Carlos Rabassa
>

> On Jul 24, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> On 24.07.2010, at 12:11, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>>
>>> (cc'ing the soas list)

>>> I'm not sure about it because I've not yet tested the latest release
>>> SoaS-3 Mirabelle. This question would be better answered by the SoaS
>>> folks.

>>> I'm even less sure about this. I know there were problems *booting*
>>> SoaS-2 on Intel Macs. Maybe these have been solved now.
>>
>> I don't think so. Or it has been silently fixed and not advertised. But Mac support would be a major achievement so I think it would have been mentioned. The only way I was ever able to run Sugar on a Mac was using a PC emulator. Personally I still wouldn't boot my Mac into SoaS even if it worked. I find VMs much more convenient.

>>> If SoaS is not yet as easy to use as Etoys To Go, maybe the SoaS team
>>> could look at how it's done and take inspiration.
>>>
>>> I'd be very interested in the technical details myself, but I'm focusing
>>> on Dextrose and I have no time now.
>>
>> For those who do not know Etoys-To-Go, it differs from SoaS in that you do not need to boot your machine from it. Instead, it packs virtual machines for Mac, Windows, and Linux, which all run the same system image and save to the same directory. You just double-click.
>>
>> Get it from
>>       http://squeakland.org/download/
>> and unzip onto a USB stick (or anywhere really).
>>
>> It would be cool if SoaS had VMs, too (e.g. Qemu or VirtualBox), maybe like
>>       http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/
>> which allows booting and emulation using the same disk image. Though emulation-only would be simpler to set up. Is anyone still preparing emulator disk images like there were for OLPC builds?
>>
>> - Bert -

>>> I think that's the stated goal, but I don't know for sure how close to
>>> it SoaS-3 got.
>>>
>>> Since SoaS-3 ships the same version of Sugar used in Dextrose, I would
>>> expect compatibility with anything from activities.sugarlabs.org to be
>>> very high. During our testing, we've found just 2-3 obscure activities
>>> that were misbehaving on Sugar 0.88 and we're already working to fix
>>> them.
>>>
>>> --
>>>  // Bernie Innocenti - http://codewiz.org/
>>> \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://sugarlabs.org/