[Sur] [Argentina] Vikidia on the XO ?

Mathias Damour mathias.damour en laposte.net
Vie Dic 17 13:12:01 EST 2010

Le 17/12/2010 18:27, olpc-sur-request at lists.laptop.org a écrit : (Martin
Langhoff)
> Mathias,
>
> - in English, then in Spanish -
>
> Vikidia is a great idea, and it would be _excellent_ to prepare an
> alterative to the "offline wikipedia" activities we have (currently in
> English and Spanish).
>
>   - How may articles in the English edition? Is it "alive" and active?

There is no english edition, simple wikipedia would be what looks the
nearest to it but still, it's aim is not exactly the same.
There is just a quite closed equivalent in dutch, (
http://wikikids.wiki.kennisnet.nl/ )

>   - How may articles in the Spanish edition? Is it "alive" and active?
> (And French? :-) And Portuguese?)

1.589 "Páginas de contenido" on Vikidia in spanish, that's something...
They have never been as much user as on the french edition. But I guess
they haven't been some fully inactive weeks since 2 years.
Those times, there is just one or two user. I guess that some old ones
are around and would hel if some new users came, but it's not very
active and so very fragile (yet "alive")

>   - Can we get an export of the full database for each of those
> languages? In what format?

Sure, we start to do do that with the french edition. It was used in a
free sofware DVD here :
http://www.framablog.org/index.php/post/2010/10/21/FramaDVD-Ecole-des-ressources-libres-pour-l-ecole-primaire
and will be used on a PCLinuxOS
The french database is here :
http://www.okawix.com/zenos/fr.vikidia.org.okawi

>   - Can we get traffic / popularity stats per page (so we pick the most
> popular articles -- we have to cut it to fit in our storage)?
Sure, here are the 500 most viewed pages on es.vikidia :
http://es.vikidia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Especial:P%E1ginasM%E1sVisitadas&limit=500

Nevertheless, my main issue right now, regarding Vikidia in spanish, is
how to let it be more active than today ! Be it by other people.
I hope you have some ideas about that, so you ca use a much more
deleopped base of article in 2, 5 or 10 years :-) .

--
Mathias Damour
49 rue Carnot
mathias.damour at laposte.net