[Sur] [OLPC-Peru] Windows en OLPC XO Peru

Walter Bender walter.bender en gmail.com
Lun Sep 15 19:42:16 EDT 2008

These sort of postings are really misleading.

> [software para linux] >> [software para XO con Sugar]

The OLPC XO puts a limit on what Linux (and Windows) programs will run
well due to limited memory and lack of swap space. When you run Sugar
on conventional laptops, there is no limit as to which Linux programs
can be run. Since you can launch virtually any Linux program either
from the Terminal or X activities, even programs that have not been
Sugarized can be run with little or no effort. (I have included links
to pictures of gnumeric running from a terminal and X on the XO as an
example.)

> [software gratuito para windows] + [software libre para windows] >> [software para linux]

Especially with the qualification that you are only interested in
programs that would be of interest to teachers, I question this
assertion as well. Sure, there are more programs that run on Windows
than on Linux, but again I ask, what is missing under Linux that is
being demanded by the teachers? What great learning experience is only
available as a Window's program? And do those programs run on XP on
the XO?

-walter

http://wiki.laptop.org/images/a/a6/Gnumeric1.png
http://wiki.laptop.org/images/5/58/Gnumericx.png