[Sur] 12 hours into Aymara translation in Bolivia

Yama Ploskonka yamaplos en gmail.com
Sab Sep 13 08:22:12 EDT 2008

The "Trasnoche de Traducción Aymará" started at 6 pm, Bolivia time
(+/- EST), of Friday, September 12.  The picture is of the survivors
of the overnight component, for their sunrise picture.
Much fun was had as the evening went on by about a dozen volunteers,
mostly from the Linux community who were quite interested in the Sugar
interface and the XOs but, alas, mostly were not Aymara savvy.
However, our 3 "Aymaristas" got agreement on 58 strings, so we have
just about 2.500 to go...

The "Impeesa" Scout Group acted as the support team, feeding and
watering the volunteers.

No live internet connectivity was available for the event, par for the
course as internet infrastructure goes here - 1 Mbs ADSL costs $365
per month.  I had to walk half an hour to find an open internet cafe
to send this.

Poedit is giving us issues, and the wished-for LAN Pootle server that
had worked just fine during test time the day before didn't operate
either when needed, so we're on manual mode.
Let's call it a start for the time being, a bit away from a resounding
success yet.

On somewhat unrelated news, the city of La Paz, where we are, is
actually quite calm while the rest of the country is facing much
unrest.  The current political situation in Bolivia brings vividly to
mind the need to support quality education, so future generations will
be able to find ways to get their act together better than ours seems
to.

Please publish, share, copy to lists as you see fit

Yama