[Olpc-socal] [support-gang] What Sensors and Where To Buy?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Sep 20 21:18:51 EDT 2012

You can generally learn by experience, which comes from ordering the
wrong ones and realising you made a mistake.  ;-)

I've added a few more words to some of those pages.

The devices needed are usually commonly available from many sources,
so I would not bother to list them, since the information would become
rapidly dated and country-specific.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 05:37:45PM -0700, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> Hi?
>

> OK, here I am again with another "dumb" question? well, maybe not so dumb after
> all as I'll bet there are others out there who could also use this information.
> On the OLPC wiki there are several very nicely illustrated instructions about
> how to make sensors to use with the XO? temperature, humidity, light, etc.
> But, they don't include a materials list or reference to sources where the
> parts can be purchased.
>

> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Making_XO_sensors
>

> Radio Shack? Edmond Scientific? Parallax.com? or where? Curious people, myself
> included want to know. Can someone help here?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Caryl (GrannieB)
>

> P.S. Here's an example of the type of info needed. This site sells a number of
> light sensors but they call them things like Photoresistor, Photo Transistor,
> Light to Frequency Converter. These are all little ones that appear similar to
> the one in the instructions on the wiki. How do you tell which kind you need?
>

> http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ColorLight/tabid/175/List/0/CategoryID/50
> /Level/a/SortField/0/Default.aspx

James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/