[Olpc-socal] olpcNET project - Usability Test request

Henry Villar villar.henry at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 02:53:56 EST 2011

Hi All,

My name is Henry Villar, and I am a Master’s degree Candidate at SFSU,
finalizing a project named olpcNET - a collaboration model. My adviser is
Dr. Sameer Verma. Last October, I participated in the OLPC San Francisco
Community Summit 2011 where I met many of you. Currently I am conducting
two “Usability Tests” for the platforms that were implemented for this
project: (1) BigBlueButton and (2) OpenQwaq. The goal of the olpcNET is to
provide to volunteers, developers, and teachers a singular place to
collaborate in the XO effort (support, development, and deployment). I will
really appreciate if you follow the steps below and answer the two
5-question surveys. The participation is anonymous, and I will be happy to
share all the results with you. Thank you in advance!

**BigBlueButton**
1. Go to: http://olpcnet.henryvillar.com
2. Click on any “Collaborate” link
2. Enter your name and Join
3. Use the available features:
  - Share My Microphone
  - Share My Camera
  - Switch Presenter
  - Share My Desktop
  - Upload presentation and use the whiteboard
  - Chat

In order to experience 2+ users, if the room is empty, you can open a new
browser session in a different window (same or different browser, it should
work in both cases).

After your visit to this web application please fill out the survey here:
BigBlueButton survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7228PSB

**OpenQwaq**
1. Download and install the teleplace client from here:
http://code.google.com/p/openqwaq/downloads/list  (Choose your platform)
2. Launch the OpenQwaq client
3. Login with the following information:
 - User ID (email): visitor at OpenQwaq.org
 - Password: password
 - Click the “+” button next to the default host and type 50.63.56.5
 - Click OK, then click Login. Note: It won't connect if you are behind a
firewall.

4. Choose one of the preconfigured forums (here it is “Project Room” and
“Training Center”)
5. Click “Enter Forum” and follow the instructions.
6. Test your setup by dragging and dropping some files onto your OpenQwaq
client window.
7. Use your Microphone, Webcam, chat function, and Play around!

After navigating through the OpenQwaq environment please fill out the
survey here:
OpenQwaq survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/72QLHHY

Thank you very much for your time and feedback, and Happy Thanksgiving!

~Henry Villar