[Olpc-socal] Weekly olpc/sugar MAP Jam #1 - LA/SoCal! (1PM PST Sunday)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Thu Feb 17 13:08:29 EST 2011

In 2009 Caryl Bigenho took the pioneering initiative of building the 1st
known /local/ (and lowercase ;) olpcMAP, showcasing ~10 Sugar/XO
projects -- long before olpcMAP.net itself reached 500
volunteer/projects -- crystallizing and catalyzing a community now made
up of well over 100 Southern California volunteers:

     http://j.mp/erEQQJ
     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Southern_California_OLPC_Projects

*Thanks OLPC Southern California OSSIE (Open Source Software in
Education!) *We've come a long way Babe!

Now, on Sunday 1PM PST (that's 4PM EST) we're coming together to
reinforce Caryl's extensive+amazing "glocal" mentoring of projects
around her city, and around the globe.  Much of this work done silently
around http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program and not yet
recognized by anyone at all!  And she's not the only one.

So our "barn raising" will introducing new larger LA/Southern Calif
edutech volunteers to the next level here -- to each other -- and to
each others' projects we'll work together to showcase here:

     http://olpcMAP.net/?go=southern_california

In preparation for Feb 25-27's quite huge SCALE / Southern CA Linux Expo:

     http://www.socalLinuxExpo.org/scale9x/

Join us to raise !!

     Sunday Feb 20, 1PM PST  (4PM EST)

     +1 866 213-2185    or    +1 609 454-9914
     Access Code: 1671650#

Backchannel:

     http://forum.laptop.org/chat
     (that's #olpc-help on irc.freenode.net)

Sunday we're all about to learn how far we've come, with
OLPC/Sugar/edutech with along our favorite Hollwood iBoulevards &
iHighways -- next week we'll be hitting the longer road exploring a new
city/region each week, so think hard about those Sugar/OLPC
teachers/kids projects in your own town that have done phenomenal stuff,
WHY YOUR CITY IS DIFFERENT, and most important the secret
dad/sister/mentors behind the scenes who deserves their fair shake /
quiet honor around our global community map at long last
(lowercase+UPPERCASE ;)

Those who share the very most creative stories of grassroots/community
accomplishment (whether told already in http://planet.laptop.org and
http://planet.sugarlabs.org) or not, will receive a RED XO, as a month+
ago here, when so many similarly unknown talents were shared here:

     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OlpcMAP/Trivia_Contest

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !