[Olpc-socal] SCaLE 10X Info, Ideas, and Help Wanted!

Kenneth Wyrick kmw at caltek.net
Sun Dec 11 22:25:42 EST 2011

Hi Caryl and others,

Candy Tanamachi vct at caltek.net has been checked out on the olpc and soas
on pc. She would like to volunteer to work in the olpc scale booth. We
plan to bring 2 or more of the 8 olpc's that we have.

We can also demonstrate the soas on our laptop, when we are there or a
small desktop, in the booth, which we would be glad to bring and setup,
for the entire exhibit.

If you have any questions please let us know.

Hi All you SoCal open source enthusiasts!

SCaLE10X is just 6 weeks from this weekend, so it is time to make plans
and preparations.  We will have an OLPC/Sugar Labs booth in the exhibit
hall again this year and, as usual would love to have help with it!

So far I have 3 individual volunteers and one small group so there is room
for more.  Volunteers will recieve a FREE full conference  registration
for their time!  This means you can come and work a few hours (or more if
you like) on one day and still have the rest of the 3 days to enjoy the
conference.

I will post a schedule for the booth as soon as I receive the exhibit hall
hours from the expo planners.  I already have the information I need to do
your registrations for you once we get the schedule made.  This will
happen over the next 10 days or so, so be sure to sign up to insure your
space on the list. We will do the time slots in a few days when we see how
many volunteers we have. (Ed, Danny, Kenneth, and Hannah I already have
you on the list).

Thoughts for the booth...

We can tell 2 stories at the booth: 1) an update of OLPC featuring
hardware, software, deployments, and the Contributors Program, along with
how to get involved, and 2) the latest from Sugar Labs about using Sugar
on other computers via Sugar on a Stick (SoaS).

Some of the ways we might do this include:

*A slide show of deployments large and small around the world, including
some of the small Contributors Program deployments. I have a small monitor
with a built in  DVD player that could work for this.

*A SoaS Creation Station where people can bring their own usbs and create
a live usb version of Sugar to play with at home.  We would need a PC to
do this... and, as a "Mac person," I can't help with that.

*Hands-on with the XOs.  I have some XO-1.5s for this and will, again,
request a loan of an XO-1.75. Hopefully, there will be one available!

Now.... you are all a smart bunch of folks, so... what other things do you
think we should include?

I was thinking it would be a good idea for some of us to meet once or
twice during the week between Christmas and New Years and/or in early
January to polish up these ideas.  I really will need some help with the
PC side of SoaS. Perhaps we could meet somewhere in the SF Valley or the
Pasadena/Altadena/Monrovia area?    We could meet at my house, but that is
way out in Simi Valley (as some of you already know!).

Any ideas?  Send them!  Want to sign up to help or Saturday (Jan 21) or
Sunday (Jan 22)? Let me know now!

OLPC-SoCal mailing list
OLPC-SoCal at lists.laptop.org

I’m moderate on extroversion.