[Olpc-socal] CUELA Tech Fair and Open Source Educational Software to Try

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 18:03:31 EDT 2010

Hi All...

Three items of interest:

1) The CUELA Tech Fair is coming up on Saturday, November 13, 2010 at Culver City High School (4401 Elenda St. Culver City, Ca 90230). The event will be from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm and will include hands-on workshops and speaker sessions on all sorts of topics of interest to educators and others interested in technology in education.

The cost is $35 for CUE mambers, $45 for non-members, or $55 to register and join CUE (a bargain!).  The registration cost includes a lunch catered by California Pizza Kitchen (but the choices are "chicken or vegitarian"???).  You can register online with PayPal at:

http://www.cuehub.org/1382108251273890/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=53746

I will be doing a hands-on-workshop about Sugar and other open source software you can run on your existing machines and a presentation about OLPC, Sugar Labs, and how you can get involved.

2) One of the software items we will be looking at in my hands-on workshop is Etoys-to-go.  This is a portable (via usb stick) version of Squeakland's Etoys that can be run on PCs, running either Windows or Linux, and Macs (even the older G4 Power PC Macs!). The same version and stick will work on all of the machines and children (or adults who like to play!) can save their work on the stick and move it from machine to machine seamlessly.

I will be handing out CDs (or DVDs if I get too much stuff) with files for this and Virtual Box, SoaS, and Maple-Syrup at my workshop so folks won't have to do all the downloads. But if you would like to play with Etoys-to-go and can't make it to the Tech Fair, here is where you can get the download (you will want version 4.1.1):

http://www.squeakland.org/download/

3) If you are really adventurous and tech savvy, you might also want to look at Maine One2One's "Maple Syrup."  It was designed for Windows machines(primarily netbooks), but I have been able to get it to work on my MacBook in Virtual Box.  You will find the download at this link. I have used the first one that is listed there (not the "Older Version" below it).  A new version is expected any day:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Ubuntu#Maple-syrup_Ubuntu_10.04_LTS_with_Sugar_and_many_other_applications_for_netbooks

Hope to see some of you at CCHS in Nov 13. Be sure to say "hi".

Caryl