[Olpc-socal] Apple iBooks Clamshell

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Thu May 20 03:05:53 EDT 2010

Hi Izzy,

Unfortunately, Sugar (SoaS) won't run on Power PC Macs (yet... anyone want to volunteer for a project?).

I did find some info on the machines your friend has...

Specs:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/stats/ibook.html

A list of things a G3 ibook Clamshell owner still  does with theirs:

http://www.coyotecommunications.com/tech/ibook.html

Here someone is selling documentation and disks for an older version of iMovie that will run on the machine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ibook-Clamshell-Original-Disks-manual-box-cable-/220604117159#ht_500wt_1051

I would suggest hunting around for older software compatible with OS 8 and OS 9.  There were a lot of great programs that would run on these.  Maybe some people on this list have some laying around their house that they would be willing to part with. I gave all mine away when I gave away my "Yosemite" G3 to an out of work engineer and his daughter.

Does anyone else have any ideas?  Of course, if your friend has internet available for his project, there are some internet based educational sites that might work.  I'd have to hunt for the links.

Caryl