[Olpc-socal] Uruguay's Mini-Jam Last Week

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 16:36:40 EDT 2010

Hi SoCal Open Source in Education Enthusiasts,

I mentioned the other day the idea of having a "Jam" next year, possibly in conjunction with SCaLE 9X.  Uruguay had one this past weekend and has posted photos and information  (in Spanish, but the photos are universal).  They had 60+ people including artists and developers, educators and students.

They spent the day learning about the XO and getting ideas for projects to collaborate on.  The plan is for them to work on their projects collaboratively for 3 months and then come together to share what they have done.

At other jams they have had a single completed Activity as their goal and everyone at the jam tried to contribute.  Early in the day they had some simple programming lessons for the people there who weren't developers so that they could join in the fun.

For the one last week they borrowed a bunch of XOs for the Jam.  We can count on being able to gather together at least 20 (the CUELA library and some I have with my "Roadshow in a Box" to lend).  Or we could expand it more with the focus on doing something that would work both on the XO and on SoaS (Sugar on a Stick) running on XO, and other laptops and PCs.

Check out the photos.... there are 2 sets.

http://fronteraincierta.blogspot.com/

http://www.cooltivarte.com/imagen19/ceibaljam.htm

If you would like to see the original message from the OLPC-Uruguay list, you can send me a note and I'll forward it.

Caryl