[Olpc-socal] Sugar Creation Kit Is Here!

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 00:24:29 EDT 2010

Hello Southern California Open Source Software In Education Fans!

I think it is time to get this list going!  I would like to share a great resource with all of you, a "Sugar-Creation-Kit" put together by SoaS volunteer, Tom Gilliard from Oregon.  He gathered all sorts of helpful files together made by volunteers from all over the globe and put them together in a big file that will just fit on a dvd.

It would be great if some of you wanted to try this child-friendly software and share it with others.  Perhaps you will find bugs you can share with the volunteer SugarLabs developers.  Perhaps you will develop a new Activity to add to our growing collection. Perhaps you will "Sugarize" your favorite open source program. Perhaps you will find new and fun ways to use the Activities we already have and share your ideas with us.

Or, perhaps you will just have fun enjoying this great free open source software for children (and adults!).

If you do download and use the files, it would be great if you shared your experiences with the folks on this list.  If you have problems or questions, ask them here.  If you have fun ideas to try, share them here!

This is the link for the download.  It took 13 hours on my "plain wrap" AT&T DSL:

http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/ASLO-xo.tar.gz

I have been able to run the SoaS v-2 Blueberry usb with a boot helper cd on my MacBook.

Caryl Bigenho OLPC/SugarLabs Volunteer

Some of the resources in the file include:

 *-READ THIS FIRST.html
("What is Sugar"- a grapical introduction)

*-Activities Guide Sugar.pdf
(How to write sugar activities by James Simmons)
 also available at: http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/books/ActivitiesGuideSugar-en-2010.03.28-03.52.19.pdf )

*CONTENTS OF DVD.txt
(listing of DVD Contents-THIS DOCUMENT)

*-soas-2-blueberry-direct-cleared-3GB.img.xz
(stable 4 GB USB img file for Blueberry with ext3 file structure)

*-soas-2-blueberry.iso
(Burn this to a CD and Boot with it)

*-soas-1-strawberry.iso
(Burn this to a CD and Boot with it)

*-livecd-iso-to-disk.sh

*-How to Make a USB Stick.txt
(instructions on how to use the above script)

*-soas-1-boot.iso
(Use as CD to Boot strawberry v1 USB for older PC's and Intel Macs)

*-soas-2-boot.iso
(Use as CD to Boot Blueberry v2 USB for older PC's and Intel Macs)

*-image-writer-mac
(Intel Mac-use to make a non persistent USB from an .iso file)

*-image-writer-mac
(use to make a non persistent USB from an .iso file using a Mac)

*-HOW TO MAKE an ISO from a CD or DVD.txt

*-How to Make a USB Stick.txt

*-How To Sugarize applications.txt
(tells how to adapt other open source programs to run in Sugar)

*-Working with Live USB's.txt

*-ASLO.iso
(111 application.xo files copy to a USB and drag drop into sugar journal to install them to Sugar)

*-Fedora-12-i386-netinst.iso
(Minimal CD to make your own custom fedora USB or Hard Disk install REQUIRES HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNETCTION TO USE)
 Note: A USB install may take 6+ hrs at high speed