[OLPC-SF] OLPC sensor assembly

Nicholas Doiron nickd at codeforamerica.org
Wed Jan 18 03:55:09 EST 2012

At Saturday's meeting there were a lot of questions about assembling
sensors for the microphone port on XO laptops.
I found some parts online, but I can't confirm them yet. These look like
the right plugs. I including shipping to SF in the cost.

- Cable already assembled - I believe you can split them into two plugs,
and use the + and - wires
-- $40.60 for 25 units = 50 plugs:
http://www.pchcables.com/6fo3mocamama.html

- Plug unassembled (unscrew the housing and solder wires to + and -
terminals, reattach housing and add alligator clips):
-- $23.52 for 50 plugs: http://www.bgmicro.com/audca110.aspx
-- What it looks like inside: http://bit.ly/zC5Wai

Now you have wires to measure resistance. Claudia from OLPC showed me
dozens of projects that take aluminum foil and everyday materials to make
switches and homemade things like this chair-folding sensor:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiayiti/6385952399/in/photostream You could
also use assorted resistors to play Memorize with Sensors:
http://mapadelsur.blogspot.com/2011/10/memorize-sensors-explained.html

DigiKey is recommended for more scientific sensors:
Temperature:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=317-1258-ND+
Light:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=PDV-P9203-ND