[OLPC-SF] Nicholas gives an Intervew

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 00:22:09 EST 2009

Fascinating tidbit from Linux Weekly News today about an Interview
with Nicholas Negroponte.

Grant Bowman
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam

http://lwn.net/Articles/360142/
Negroponte: XO-1.75 goes ARM, XO-2 is canceled (OLPC News)
[Announcements] Posted Nov 3, 2009 15:19 UTC (Tue) by jake

OLPC News has a report[1] about plans for the next revisions of the XO
hardware from an interview with Nicholas Negroponte[2] at Xconomy. One
of the changes is that the XO-2 has been canceled, with an ARM-based
XO-1.75 planned, and an XO-3 scheduled for 2012. "I've been following
the ongoing x86 vs. ARM race quite closely and it's my understanding
that they're now closely matched when it comes to the all-important
price / performance / power-consumption metrics. What I however cannot
estimate is how much engineering by OLPC, Sugar Labs and Fedora it takes
to make the current software run, and run well, on an ARM platform. It
also remains to be seen when OLPC plans to release the XO-1.75 but I'd
be very surprised if it happened within the next 12 months."

 [1] http://www.olpcnews.com/people/negroponte/negroponte_xo-175_goes_arm_xo-2_is_cancelled.html
 [2] http://www.xconomy.com/boston/2009/11/02/negroponte-outlines-the-future-of-olpc-hints-at-paperlike-design-for-third-generation-laptop/