[OLPC-SF] OLPC News Happy Hour on Thursday

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 11:53:57 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Wayan Vota | OLPC News
<wayan at olpcnews.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm organizing a Happy Hour on Thursday to talk OLPC and its recent
> changes:
>
> - What might the half staff sack mean for the XO laptop's future?

Not much. Sugar is at Sugar Labs, which is not affected.

Some of us outside OLPC need to raise funds and hire people to do more
of what is needed, particularly on the school server. This was always
true, but I think I know the way forward on this now.

> - Do you think they'll even stay with Sugar or go Windows XO?

Don't be silly. As I say at every opportunity, I am looking forward to
watching Microsoft struggle in the corner where it has firmly backed
itself, of supporting trials of Linux and XP on the same hardware by
the same people, hardly any of whom are on the Microsoft payroll.

> - And just what will deployments look like now that OLPC "refocused".

You should have come to XOCamp 2 instead of having meaningless bar
discussions among people without the necessary information. We have
discussed expansions in Nepal and Uruguay, and new programs in Ghana,
Venezuela, and Brazil, and will get to dozens of others. This includes
Sugar on other Linux distributions on non-XO computers.

> Come join me and others interested in One Laptop Per Child, the future
> of Sugar, and its developers at the OLPC News Happy Hour this Thursday
> in downtown San Francisco:
>
>   OLPC News SF Happy Hour
>   Thursday, January 15, from 6-8pm
>   @ 21st Amendment
>   563 2nd Street,
>   http://www.21st-amendment.com/
>
> For those interested in an adult OS for your XO, I'm sure we'll have a
> few Ubuntu XO's, and maybe a Fedora and Xfce machine also.

You should bring LiveCDs, qemu images, and SOAS as well.

> Wayan
> --
>
> Wayan Vota
> Publisher