[OLPC-SF] this month's meeting...

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Aug 13 22:28:42 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Sameer Verma<sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> > I've heard back from a few people about meeting down in Sunnyvale at the
> > 18th Picnix event (http://www.linuxpicnic.org/twiki/bin/view/Picnix18/)
> on
> > the 15th. I have also heard back from the group that is doing a
> deployment
> > in South Africa. They will have updates for us and would like to come to
> > meeting and do a presentation. There is some activity afoot with the
> Starr
> > King group. Maybe we'll get an update from them soon?
>
> We have a tentative arrangement with Kipp SF Academy, also for this fall.

Would like to hear more about this either on the 15th or the 22nd.

> > Here's what I propose: We meet on the 15th in Sunnyvale for OLPC-SF &
> > Picnix, and see if we can do a regular meeting on the 22nd in downtown
> SF.
> >
> > Ed (Cherlin), can you coordinate some of the things for the 15th @
> Picnix?
>
> Certainly. Please note that the event is from 11 am to 5 pm. This
> information is provided on the #linuxpicnic IRC channel, but not on
> the Web page.
>
> http://www.linuxpicnic.org/twiki/bin/view/Picnix18/WebHome
>
> Volunteers are needed for setup beforehand, during the event, and for
> cleanup.
>
> Everybody, please let me know if you can bring XOs, Sugar on a Stick,
> or Sugar on any other kind of Linux. I will have all three, with some
> lesson demos.

I will bring my stash and possibly the solar panel(s). We could also run the
school server with some preloaded goodies, but each XO will have to register
to be able to use Moodle. Is it worth the effort?

> Does anybody have a child who can demonstrate Sugar to attendees?

Mine can't make it...something else planned a while ago. Christian (Nobs)
has a great team though. Larry (Cafiero), will you all be there?

> Does anybody have spare XO battery packs? Does anyone have a portable
> power source that we can use, either 12 V DC or standard AC? We would
> need extension cords to go with it. I can bring some, including power
> squids, and a DC-AC converter made for an auto lighter socket. I'll
> find out whether we can park a car nearby for recharging.

Evidently, power supply is available at the venue but I'll see if I can
arrange for a portable battery pack.

> What literature should we bring?

I have some cards and flyers left over from OSCON. I'll bring those. Should
we burn Sugar disks on demand?

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.