[OLPC-SF] this month's meeting...

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 05:20:17 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Sameer Verma<sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> I've heard back from a few people about meeting down in Sunnyvale at the
> 18th Picnix event (http://www.linuxpicnic.org/twiki/bin/view/Picnix18/) on
> the 15th. I have also heard back from the group that is doing a deployment
> in South Africa. They will have updates for us and would like to come to a
> meeting and do a presentation. There is some activity afoot with the Starr
> King group. Maybe we'll get an update from them soon?

We have a tentative arrangement with Kipp SF Academy, also for this fall.

> Here's what I propose: We meet on the 15th in Sunnyvale for OLPC-SF &
> Picnix, and see if we can do a regular meeting on the 22nd in downtown SF.
>
> Ed (Cherlin), can you coordinate some of the things for the 15th @ Picnix?

Certainly. Please note that the event is from 11 am to 5 pm. This
information is provided on the #linuxpicnic IRC channel, but not on
the Web page.

http://www.linuxpicnic.org/twiki/bin/view/Picnix18/WebHome

Volunteers are needed for setup beforehand, during the event, and for cleanup.

Everybody, please let me know if you can bring XOs, Sugar on a Stick,
or Sugar on any other kind of Linux. I will have all three, with some
lesson demos.

Does anybody have a child who can demonstrate Sugar to attendees?

Does anybody have spare XO battery packs? Does anyone have a portable
power source that we can use, either 12 V DC or standard AC? We would
need extension cords to go with it. I can bring some, including power
squids, and a DC-AC converter made for an auto lighter socket. I'll
find out whether we can park a car nearby for recharging.

What literature should we bring?

 What else?

> cheers,
> Sameer
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Information Systems
> San Francisco State University
> San Francisco CA 94132 USA
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/