[OLPC-SF] New user support request

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Apr 2 17:54:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:57 AM, J Nauss <jnauss at lwhs.org> wrote:
> Hello, I am a high school teacher and new user to the OLPC and will be
> helping to lead a student project in Keur Sadaro, Senegal in June
> (short notice, I know). There were 25 OLPCs brought over last year
> that are not in use but will be this summer when the wireless mesh
> network is completed. We will bring an additional 20 or so OLPCs.
>
> Due to a pre-scheduled vacation, I am unable to attend the April SF
> meeting, but I was wondering if there is anyone with time and energy
> to help me get started. While I am able to sort out the basics, I am
> finding that most of the Activities do not have instructions, or the
> instructions explain what the program does but not how to do it. One
> even says, "If you are computer savvy and play with it long enough,
> you can figure it out." This won't be useful in Senegal.
>
> More specifically:
> 1. Are there actual instructions for some of the more complex
> activities?
> 2. Are there lesson plans/unit plans?
> 3. I have downloaded the user manual - is it available in other
> languages?
> 4. Are there new user training sessions offered other than the one
> Saturday each month?
>
> Thank you!
> Jenny Nauss

Hi Jenny,

Not too many answers, but more questions :-)

The April meeting may get moved to the following week...I'll confirm
in a day or two. Hopefully you can attend.

Are you still in touch with Bruce Baikie, who I believe was part of
the original effort?

Given that there are a lot of activities, its hard to assess
documentation for all of them. Can you short-list the list of
activities you are looking at? I presume you are looking for English
documentation? If not, what languages would you need these in
(French?)

There are some lesson plans being used by other deployments. You may
have some luck re-using those. Here are links to project
reports/guides from:

1) Mali: http://www.olpcmali.org/Files/OLPC-Mali-SCP-Final-Report.pdf (English)
2) Gabon: Guide to XO
http://collabo.fse.ulaval.ca/olpc/GuideXOGabon.pdf (French)