[OLPC-SF] [Olpc-open] G1G1 launch parties!

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Sat Nov 15 23:05:14 EST 2008

My experience tells me that younger kids are fascinated by chat (if there
are multiple xos) and record, and they like the cartoon builder, speak, and
the puzzles. I just upgraded my xos to the new release -- sadly, my day job
and family issues intervened -- and am systematically trying the latest
versions of activities.  I plan to try my theory out in my kids' old k8
school and our local library.  As a Life Member of Girl Scouts and an ex
leader, I thought of offering to come to assorted Brownie and Junior
meetings as well. But we'll see how the first few go.  I feel that we are
still not quite production quality for unsupervised use by very young kids,
and older kids here in Silicon Valley may be too jaded by having fast, new
computers at home.

I want to offer a parent-child meet-up so that parents know what they are
getting this time and there isn't so much aggravation.  I'd like to set up a
dual boot with the other boot being Debian or Ubuntu with media codecs and
Skype installed, to show its utility as a mobile laptop to the parents.I
also think we need to emphasize the "Give 1" half of the equation.