[OLPC-SF] Microsoft Is Joining Low-Cost Laptop Project - New York Times

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri May 16 12:24:38 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 5:15 AM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

>   what ideas do you have about the future of
> the little green machine?

Too many to write about here :-) but in the long run I hope we will
have many other green machines and not just the XO.

>   will there be a fork of some kind: the linux
> and also the windows paths?

Just to clarify, my understanding is that there is no fork. A fork
happens if the copyright holder(s) and contributors/community disagree
on the direction of the project. The license at that point allows for
a fork to happen. Additionally, a fork results in at least two
projects. Sugar is still Sugar. Its changed its management structure
(Sugarlabs) and has left home (OLPC) to grow up...in a sense.

>   will the machine be developed to accommodate
> vista as well as linux?

Again, my understanding is that the XO will run Linux the way it does
today, but will allow for a dual boot by hosting the other environment
on the SD card. I don't know if this will be the case in the Gen 2
machines.

>   will there be rebellion in the various developers
> ranks, and if so with what results?

There already is some. Ivan and Walter left. Others such as C. Scott
Ananian have mentioned that they will stay until they see the need to
move. Rebellion is good...keeps processes (and people) honest.

>   other?

Nothing comes to mind...Sunday meeting went well. Will post a writeup
soon. Oh, and this reply posted from my XO.

Sameer