[OLPC-SF] OLPC question

Joachim Pedersen joachimp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:27:41 EDT 2008

-Kuhio Walters
> if there is any way to play MP3s on an XO, as of today?

Yes, as Sameer said, both Mplayer, and VLC work on the XO with little
effort. Both programs can play a whole host of media files including
mp3's. However, both programs are video centric, so the user interface
when playing music leaves much to be desired as far as playlist,
seeking, random play, and other standard audio player features.

The program to use to play mp3's and audio in general on the XO is
'XMMS' I've tested this on my Joyride/development build XO, it should
work on all XO's in general, but stranger things have gone wrong.

as root:(say Y to all prompts, sometime you need to run the rpm -ivh
more than once, it may complain about keys, don't worry about these
warnings.)
Install extra non-free repositories:
'rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-7.rpm'
Install xmms, and the xmms-mp3 plugin
'yum install xmms xmms-mp3'

Now, after all that is done, open a new terminal, and type 'xmms'
It's tiny! Make it bigger by pressing 'ctrl-d' If you want to play
music right away, you can start by appending a music file to the xmms
command 'xmms anAwesomeSong.mp3'  The 'PL' button on the right of the
xmms window lets you access the playlist window adding(or -) files,
directories etc...

Please let me know if you get this working on a stable build XO!

--
-Joachim