[Olpc-sf] Fixing XO's locally [SF-Bay Area]

Joachim Pedersen joachimp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 02:24:02 EST 2008

> What kind of specific support/fixing did you have in mind? Are we
> looking at OS upgrades, or powers supply issues, etc? I'd like to hear more.

I was thinking mostly hardware issues, all inclusive: XO && power
supply, battery.
Software issues, upgrades OS and firmware could definitely be a part
of the service group. Will people want to bring their XO's in for
software upgrades? If so, those are easy fixes...

> By the way, it is relatively easy to disassemble the XO. The operative
> word is "relatively". I've disassembled a few Dells and Compaqs back in
> the day, and it took a serious four to six hours to carefully unscrew
> and document every single thing!

Yeah, one always has to pay attention when disassembling laptops, or
any intricate, sensitive piece of equipment. I've (re)built, upgraded,
repaired quite a few laptops over the years. People tend to almost
give away their broken screen/hardrive laptops, I've gotten a bunch of
these laptops up and running in the past, and they are on average much
more complex than the little XO's. I've also fixed cellphones, alarm
remotes, surface mount PCB IC pads (bad solder joints). Though I don't
expect that we will be doing much motherboard solder joint repair, I
hope ;) .

> There are some great pics and commentary on the XO disassembled at
> http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=218

Yes! I've read this blog entry a few  weeks back, it's a good lite
guide to the guts of the XO!

Sameer-
Do you know if it might be possible to locker/lab space to do some XO
repair? That might qualify SFSU to sign up on on the wiki:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Repair
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Repair_centers
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/University_program

-Joachim