[Olpc-sf] Fixing XO's locally [SF-Bay Area]

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Jan 25 21:54:46 EST 2008

Joachim Pedersen wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am interested in setting up a group to do pro-bono hardware
> repairs/replacements/troubleshooting on XO's in the area. I am a full
> time junior undergraduate in mechanical engineering at San Francisco
> State. I have a little extra time, and I've (re)built quite a few
> laptops over the last few years. I would like to help take some of the
> load off of OLPC. Please respond on list if you are interested in
> helping out too, maybe we can get a critical mass together to make
> something happen.
> Thanks all,

Hi Joachim,

What kind of specific support/fixing did you have in mind? Are we
looking at OS upgrades, or powers supply issues, etc? I'd like to hear more.

By the way, it is relatively easy to disassemble the XO. The operative
word is "relatively". I've disassembled a few Dells and Compaqs back in
the day, and it took a serious four to six hours to carefully unscrew
and document every single thing!

There are some great pics and commentary on the XO disassembled at
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=218

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.