[Olpc-sf] charging credit cards before shipment?

Sarah Mei sarahmei at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 18:39:05 EST 2008

You're right, that rule applies to commercial transactions. But buying
an OLPC was a donation that happened to come with a free gift, much
like donating to a PBS station nets you a tote bag. Since it's not a
purchase, technically, the same rules don't apply.

My receipts and all the email communications I have from them are very
careful to call it a donation rather than a purchase, for this reason.
Of course, there might be loopholes, IANAL, consult your local
provider of jurisprudence, etc.