[Olpc-sf] OLPC Crisis: Customer Data Lost

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Thu Jan 24 17:25:58 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 01:24:55PM -0800, Sameer Verma wrote:
>Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
>> I have posted some info about the situation to Linux Journal, where I
>> am on the advisory panel...
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/olpc-crisis-customer-data-lost
>
>How do you know that the first day customer database is corrupt? Mine
>isn't here yet, but every time I call (and get through) they seem to
>have all my information street address and all. I got an e-mail today
>that says the laptops aren't here yet (backordered?) and they'll keep me
>posted.

Purchasers can prove by their bank records that they paid, and
the company and purchasers can presumably prove by FedEx and UPS
records whether or not a computer was shipped and received.

So it should be possible to reconstruct any missing records and
make everything right, although it might take a few months.