[OLPC-SF] Will An XO -1 Take Sugar 8.2.0?

Joachim Pedersen joachimp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 20:34:03 EST 2008

David-
> I'm considering buying an XO - 1 that someone bought during the first G1G1
> promotion.  Can anyone tell me if it would support the latest version of
> Sugar, and if there are major differences in hardware architecture between
> the XO -1 and the model that is being released now?

Yes, you can(and should) install 8.2 on last year's g1g1 XOs, there
are many software improvements.

The current XO-1 is pretty much identical to those produced last year.
There is a slight change to the packaging of the wifi chipset, but
from a software standpoint they are identical. There have also been
some improvements to the process control of the keyboard manufacturing
to eliminate the sticky keys issue. If this 2007 g1g1 XO has sticky
keys, a replacement keyboard can be purchased for $18 + shipping.

Hope this helps!
-Joachim