[OLPC-Philippines] Need help with the training this April

Cherry Withers cwithers at ekindling.org
Thu Mar 18 18:56:05 EDT 2010

Hi folks,
(PAGING Carlos, Rowen and Hamilton and anyone else who have done XO/Sugar
work)

I'm going back home to the Philippines after 17 years of absence. I always
thought I won't do this until I'm given a compelling enough reason to do so.
I think affecting some changes on our education system in the Philippines
(however small or big that may be) is compelling enough. So I'm heading back
home this April to lend a hand in preparing the teachers in Lubang for the
pilot deployment in June. But I need  help especially from those who have
experience playing with the laptop and Sugar.

Tessa Yuvienco will work with the teachers on prepping them on how the
technology will change the dynamics of the classroom (classroom management,
curriculum integration, etc.). Harvey volunteered to do some second tier
hardware support training (this is for training the technical support team
who will be the main contact when hardware breaks) but his time is limited
so he can only go over a handful of things. I can go over most of the things
that's not covered but it would be great to break up the task. Mitch Seaton
from OLPC-Aus will lend his support during the deployment and do a refresher
course on what we talk about in April. Here are some of the bigger areas
that we need help on:

A) XS server training and support (I'm working on getting us the ideal
hardware for this before I go home and OLPC-SF said that they can help but
just in case, maybe someone can look into getting us a set-up even if it's
just for the span of the training?). This is for teaching the teachers and
students on how to log in and use the XS server and Moodle.

B)* Detailed hardware debugging and repair. The hardware trouble shooting
and repair training will likely be broken up into two tiers:

1st Tier: this will be a simple diagnosis that we can teach the technical
support team including teachers and kids. Maybe just how to recognize
trouble signs and to know how to articulate the problem to the tech support
team.

2nd Tier (only for Tech support team): More detailed training on how to
trouble shoot, debug and do quick repairs. We still have to figure out up to
how much complexity of repairs the tech support team in Lubang can handle.
We may add a third tier to the support or just escalate the hardware
problems to OLPC main.

*Note: any guidance on this part would be truly appreciated.

The training will be from April 12-21st with the last two days dedicated to
the Muscovado project and training in content creation using Etoys.
Unfortunately space is limited (this is venue and hardware issue) to just
the participants of the two pilots but let me or Ryan know if you'd like to
get involved long term to the projects and we'll try to accommodate as much
as we can possibly can.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,
---Cherry
P.S. So far we have 6 XOs that we are guaranteed to have, but we could use
more as there will be 12 participants in the Lubang project. If you have
some hardware that you can lend that will be great. The teachers will need
them till their laptops come in around late July or early August.