[OLPC-Philippines] Content Development and Curriculum Integration

Cherry Withers cherry.withers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 17:00:53 EST 2009

Hi Caroline,

This is great! Now where to begin? :-)

I'm thinking we could begin with a 4th grade curriculum. I'm hoping to get
this from UP Integrated School. Ryan's mailing me one (unfortunately it's
only in hard copy) and I'll ask for another copy. I've chosen this grade for
a baseline because Squeakland's education team is already starting work on
this. I used the Standards that I found on this website when I was thinking
of projects to do with Etoys for the subjects that I mentioned:
http://www.education-world.com/standards/  . I was trying to stay away from
too much US-centric lessons to adopt it to a world wide community.

Admittedly, I have not read the ClassActs manual extensively so I have not
done independent research on this. But I am hoping for examples on how the
other Sugar activities are used, which ones are popular (therefore easier
for the teachers to adapt to and integrate), mesh networking use, etc. in
the classroom. I have not looked at the available Sugar Activities/ Apps
recently but are there any teaching tools that can substitute for existing
pen and paper use like: a multiple question creator app, graphing paper app,
a grading/report card app?

When I was brainstorming this in the past, I was looking at the browse,
camera, read and write apps but there may already be new apps to consider.

Will send you a sample of my initial draft of the Squeakland courseware. I'm
still working on the detailed lesson plans for them.

Cheers,
Cherry
P.S.  Pssst! Hey there community!! Chime in! Would need your inputs here as
well!