[OLPC-Philippines] I have reserved the name already

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Fri Jun 12 10:01:12 EDT 2009

Thanks for the update, Charles - definitely keep us in the loop with
what you're doing! (We can only help out with the things we know about,
after all.)

I think it's totally fine (indeed, even ideal) to have multiple groups
working on this problem in the Philippines from different angles - we
all want to see the same thing - Filipino kids transforming themselves
into kickass learners - and also believe that (well-implemented!)
technology will play no small part in this, and having different groups
try different things just means we'll be able to learn that much more
from each other.

The folks at 1cc are great (admittedly, I'm biased on this ;) and doing
fantastic work, and keeping in touch with them, through a foundation
expressly set for that purpose or otherwise, is a good idea. The folks
at Sugar Labs are great (admittedly, I'm biased on this too...) and
doing fantastic work, and keeping in touch with them is also a very good
idea. The people on this list don't /have/ to tie themselves to one
organization or another - personally, I hope we'll each choose to give
ourselves the same freedom of choice that we want to give Filipino kids
in their education. It doesn't mean we can't work with OLPC or Sugar
Labs (in fact, I really hope we will!) but it does mean we shouldn't
restrict ourselves to doing so. That's the Freedom in Free Software -
it's not just the software, too.

Happy Independence Day, all. :)

--Mel