[OLPC-Philippines] Weekly Updates: Independence Day, Community Update, Meeting (Jun 14) Materials, Tech Talks, Help Wanted.

Ryan Letada rletada at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 05:25:05 EDT 2009

Happy Philippine Independence Day!!

With the flurries of emails, it is difficult to keep track of all the
different discussion threads. Below is a condensed weekly update, which
includes past week’s developments, overviews of relevant developments in
Technology, and materials for our coming meeting this Sunday.

If you want to submit an update regarding what you are doing to move the
cause forward (ie. fundraising, presenting in your local communities) or any
other relevant information, please submit rletada at gmail.com by the Friday of
each week.

BTW, thanks Jerome for this great idea. This is indeed a great way to
highlight our hard work, and progress as a community!

* *

*--Community Updates—*

* *

*Sagip Bata: Possible XO Pilot Deployment Program*

*Submitted by Jerome Gotangco*

Members of Singles for Christ (SFC) Meralco are currently evaluating the
XO-1 and Sugar learning environment for the Sagip project targeting children
from depressed areas from age 6 to 13 with the aim of supplementing
knowledge that they currently receive from public school education. Sunday
classes regarding academic tutorials, sports, and creative workshops as well
as very solid values formation classes are offered through this program.
Please contact Jerome Gotangco for more information.

Please check: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/GK_Sagip_Pilot

*OLPC Boston Headquarters Meeting: Mel and Marife*

*Submitted by Cherry Withers*

* *

Marife Mago is our envoy to the OLPC meet this week in Boston. She is going
to voice some of our concerns as group and lobby to get initial hardware for
a pilot as well as to garner some ideas from key members of OLPC main. She
is also meeting with Mel Chua. Please contact Cherry Withers and Marife Mago
for more information.

*--Meeting Updates –*

*Submitted by Ryan Letada and Mel Chua*

* *

   1. Our next meeting will be on June 14, 2009 at 9pm Philippines time (6am
   US PST, 9am US EST) on #sugar-meeting in Freenode. (This channel has an
   automatic logging bot that we can use.)

Please check:  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Philippines/Meetings.

Note: This is a high level organizational meeting (we can schedule
work-sprints when we figure out what people want to do next), and we will be
firmly sticking to the agenda.

* *

   1. To make sure that our meeting is productive, here are some very
   relevant materials that may enhance our discussion:
      1. *OLE Nepal* – Bryan Berry Presentation – Doing Business:
      http://www.slideshare.net/gueste596c5/olpc-startup-5-easy-steps?type=powerpoint

   1. *Waveplace*:  Timothy Falconer of Waveplace and Squeakland talks about
      the vision of Waveplace and their work in the Caribbean:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erWQTmu3S1U

   1. *SugarCamp*: Talk on Community: Defining Community, growing it and its
      challenges: Please view the youtube series:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ3Ge9YeAys

* *

*--Tech Talk—*

* *

*Nintendo DS – a Tool for Learning *

*Submitted by Jerome Gotangco*

* *

You probably have a Nintendo DS game console or a family member does (most
likely your child). Today, Nintendo unveiled a classroom solution utilizing
the Nintendo DS with a turnkey solution which includes the software and the
server components to make it possible to use the Nintendo DS to deliver
education called Nintendo DS Kyoushitsu. The premise is that you load a
computer with the server software, and pop in the classroom cartridge to the
DS and the game consoles connect to the computer using the client and server
software which can accommodate up to 50 DS consoles per 1 server. Since the
game console has wifi, everything is done wireless as well and local.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2009/090609.html

* *

*---Help Wanted—*

*SPREAD THE WORD* about our work! Engage! *START CONVERSATIONS*! The growth
of our community translates into a growth of much needed capacity to
successfully deploy our programs. SPREAD THE WORD!!!