[OLPC-Philippines] Get the Creative Juices Flowing: Mission and Vision Statement Drafts/Proposals; List of mission statements from other Org.

Ryan Letada rletada at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 07:35:16 EDT 2009

Hey guys,

here is a list of proposed draft mission and vision statements to get the
creative juices flowing. This is just a starting point. We may eventually
have something completely different as we begin to drill into our values and
goals. However, these proposals were inspired by conversations with other
members. Keeping in mind the educational challenges of the Philippines, this
is also an attempt to combine different mission statements from other
organizations listed below.  I can explain my thought process if you guys
want.  Sige… ingat, I look forward to your feedback, and please feel free to
draft one of your own!

*Proposed Mission Statement:*

*Draft Option 1*

Our mission is to enhance educational opportunities through open source,
technological innovations for the empowerment of Filipino youth.

*Draft Option 2*

Our mission is to enhance educational opportunities in technologically
underserved and economically disadvantaged communities through open source,
technological innovations for the empowerment of Filipino youth.

*Draft Option 3*

Our mission is to enhance educational opportunities through open source
technological innovations for the benefit of Filipino youth. Drawing from a
child’s natural talents and intellectual prowess, we seek to empower
children to become agents of change towards the betterment of themselves and
their communities.

*Draft Option 4 *

Our mission is to enhance educational opportunities in technologically
underserved and economically disadvantaged communities through open source,
technological innovations for the benefit of Filipino youth. Drawing from a
child’s natural talents and intellectual prowess, we seek to empower
children to become agents of change towards the betterment of themselves and
their communities.

*Proposed Vision*

Our vision is to transform Filipino youth into 21st century learners, who
are digitally literate, critical thinkers, and productive members of society
through open source technology.  In doing so, learners will be better
prepared to tackle the challenges of an increasingly competitive job market
and globalised world as well, as become an agent of change towards the
betterment of themselves and their communities.

*For your viewing pleasure – here is a list of mission statements from other
organizations. *

*Open Learning Exchange Nepal*

*Open Learning Exchange (OLE) Nepal* is a Nepali non-governmental
organization dedicated to assisting the Government of Nepal in meeting its
Education for All goals by developing freely accessible, open-source
Information and Communication Technology (ICT)-based educational
teaching-learning materials.

*Waveplace*

Our mission is much more than free laptops. Though laptops get all the
attention, they're really just a vehicle for something much cooler. As Alan
Kay said, "you can donate pianos, but they work much better with piano
lessons." We recognize this, which is why most of our emphasis is on course
materials and teacher training. Our larger goal is encouraging kids and
adults to use the laptops to their full potential, which can have profound
educational benefits.

*One Laptop Per Child (Main)*

To create educational opportunities for the world's poorest children by
providing each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop
with content and software designed for collaborative, joyful, self-empowered
learning. When children have access to this type of tool they get engaged in
their own education. They learn, share, create, and collaborate. They become
connected to each other, to the world and to a brighter future.

The mission of One Laptop per Child (OLPC) is to empower the children of
developing countries to learn by providing one connected laptop to every
school-age child.

*One Laptop Per Child Australia*

One Laptop per Child (OLPC) Australia's mission is to improve the lives of
children living in rural and remote Australia - the great majority of which
are in indigenous communities - by providing them with the purpose-built
educational tool, the XO laptop. When children have access to this type of
tool they become engaged in their own education; they learn, share, create,
and collaborate. They become connected to each other, to the world and to a
brighter future

*World Wide Workshop Foundation*

The World Wide Workshop is a global foundation for developing open-source
applications of social media technology and game production, to enhance
learning, innovation, entrepreneurship, and an understanding of the world in
economically-disadvantaged and technologically-underserved communities.**

* *