[OLPC-Philippines] All-hands online meeting: the backstory

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Mon Jun 8 18:26:40 EDT 2009

A number of us interested in open-source educational technology in the
Philippines have decided to get together online to share the respective
projects we're working on and the roles we're starting to find ourselves
playing in the hopes that we'll be able to find a better way to move
forward together. More on the details of this meeting later.

So far, the discussion leading up to this meeting has been on private
email, and the meeting was also supposed to be private. After some
conversations, we realized that this was counterproductive to
community-building, and that we should open both the meeting and the
planning for it to anybody who is interested.

This was done with the understanding that since we're all individual
volunteers, people are free to do what they want to do - this means that
you can work on what you're interested in without having to ask
permission, but you also shouldn't expect your suggestions to be
followed unless you pick up the work and do it yourself.

This email thread is, in part, me following my own suggestion to open up
the meeting by doing the legwork of forwarding the messages - with
context - to this list. Thanks for your patience as we figure out this
whole "community" thing. ;) Please feel free to ask questions if I
haven't made things clear - it helps me learn how to communicate better.

More emails coming in a moment.

--Mel