[OLPC-Philippines] Notes from OLE Nepal

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Mon Jul 13 23:09:09 EDT 2009

We've discussed learning from other deployments and asking them about
the models they've employed - so here are notes from a conversation with
OLE Nepal's Rabi Karmacharya over falafel the other day. Rabi, hopefully
I haven't mangled things too badly. ;) Comments and suggestions welcome.
(Words in parentheses are mine.)

I'd like to publish these in a better forum than the archives of a
mailing list. Any suggestions? (Rabi, is any of this useful for the OLE
Learning Guide?)

--Mel

----

The most important thing is a good team. We have strong players here:
people who have been in the classroom, people who understand how to
build and run organizations, people with the ability to create and
support technologies with open-source development processes, people who
can quietly move around and keep us together as a community that listens
and learns from each other. And all of us are dedicated towards
improving education in the Philippines. So we already have the biggest
thing settled.

We do need to have a legal entity to give us existence in the eyes of
the Filipino government, donors, and the like. (Having an organization
should not be a way to exclude contributors or apportion power - it is
so we have these structures to serve the the contributor community at
the heart of what we do, the people on the ground who Get Things Done.
And that community of volunteers needs to be as open and inclusive as
possible.)

As a legal entity, we are required to have a board of directors. Rabi
suggested that we have a board of directors, a management team, and an
advisory board.

The board of directors is a legal requirement. These people are:

* Givers of advice
* Filipino
* Legally liable for the organization
* Do not draw salary
* Not involved in day-to-day operations
* Deliberately chosen to span a wide range of professions - law,
banking, medicine, government, education, engineering, anything else we
might imagine needing advice on.
* Respected people who give the organization credibility and help
promote the project, as they have access to people we will typically not
have access to.

The management team is the team involved in daily operations. These are
professionals in their field working for the organization in their
professional capacity. They are the core execution body and the ultimate
decision-makers (when the community cannot reach consensus). The
management team reports to the Board of Directors.

The advisory board is similar to the Board of Directors, except:

* They have no legal liability
* They do not make decisions

...and thus have less of a time commitment than members of the Board of
Directors. A distribution across professions is less important; this
board should have pepole who have been in the education field, former
government officials, etc. They can also be international figures,
unlike members of the Board of Directors who must be Filipino. Their
role is to provide the management team with advice, so they are
resources for the management team to draw upon but the management team
does not report to them.

There are several things we should be considering at this point (as we
continue to move our projects forward):

* (How do we decide upon - appoint, elect, or invite - the management
team and the two boards?)
* How do we keep a low-key PR presence to allow us to focus on our work,
yet document well and publicly enough that the right people get credit
for the right work, and what we do is visible to others who would like
to learn to do the same?
* What is our exit strategy - what goal(s) are we aiming to hit at what
time(s)?