[OLPC-Philippines] Visiting fellow

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Jan 18 14:31:45 EST 2009

It occurred to me that I haven't properly introduced myself to this
list.  I was a member of the OLPC development team and one of the
founders of Sugar Labs.  Last year, I went to Kathmandu for three
months to help OLE Nepal customize and deploy Sugar and the
Schoolserver.  At this time, I'm taking care of Sugar Labs' fledgling
development infrastructure and web presence.

My main interest is growing our volunteer community and commercial
partnerships.  I'll soon be leaving the United States and Caroline
Meeks suggested that the Philippines might become a good place for us
to establish new relationships with developers and educators; to plan
future Sugar deployments.

Here's a concrete proposal: in exchange for reimbursement of travel
expenses and housing, I can offer my time (let's say 3 months) to
train developers and educators in working with Sugar and with the
School server.  A possible goal could be building a team capable of
developing new Sugar activities or extend existing ones to match the
requirements of the state curriculum for primary schools.  Core
Schoolserver and Sugar development would also be a highly valued goal
for us.  I'd also like to help organize a Local Lab (which is how we
call our local units), reach out to universities and NGOs for support
and relay local feedback and requests to the core development team.

I'd be available for this project starting from the second half of
February.  Please, get me in contact with whoever might be interested
in such a proposal.

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/