[OLPC-Philippines] Organization Formation

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 09:16:18 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com> wrote:
> Another alternative would be something like
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/Local_labs (note that multiple labs and chapters
> can coexist in the same place - there's no reason there has to be one
> and only one of these organizations for the entirety of the Philippines,
> especially if we're trying to cultivate as many grassroots leaders as
> possible!)
>
> The Sugar Labs idea of Local Labs is still very much under construction,
> but it seems like the Philippines would be a great group to try out some
> of these ideas and be one of the pioneering groups that begin the
> definition of what Local Labs are and can become, if people here really
> want to be on the organizational bleeding-edge.
>
> The big advantage I can see here is that it wouldn't give you the
> bottleneck of "we rely only on this hardware," but you could totally
> still begin by deploying XOs if that's your ideal situation. This would
> basically decouple your choice of hardware from your choice of software
> (Sugar also runs on multiple Linux distros) and give you more
> flexibility. (It does assume, however, that you want to use Sugar at
> least in part, which I realize might not be a given.)

Yeah so there's an obvious advantage of Sugarlabs becoming independent
of sorts which could definitely be beneficial to all parties
implementing education technology projects. The model before was mimic
what OLPC does or says and take it as canonical. This is just how I
view it though, but it is also true that organizations involved in
deployments always had a high degree of flexibility its just that OLPC
itself has the best practices so new organizations tend to adopt the
same methods.

> I suppose one thing I'm trying to ask is what exactly is it that people
> here would like to go for - is it XO machines running Sugar in specific?
> 1-to-1 open-source computing for k-12 education in general? Somewhere in
> between?

I'd go for the latter with the former being the driver which makes it
in between. I still think there is a real benefit of doing things with
Sugar.

--
Jerome G.

Blog: http://gotangco.blogspot.com