[OLPC-Philippines] Organization Formation

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Jan 15 09:09:56 EST 2009

Another alternative would be something like
http://sugarlabs.org/go/Local_labs (note that multiple labs and chapters
can coexist in the same place - there's no reason there has to be one
and only one of these organizations for the entirety of the Philippines,
especially if we're trying to cultivate as many grassroots leaders as
possible!)

The Sugar Labs idea of Local Labs is still very much under construction,
but it seems like the Philippines would be a great group to try out some
of these ideas and be one of the pioneering groups that begin the
definition of what Local Labs are and can become, if people here really
want to be on the organizational bleeding-edge.

The big advantage I can see here is that it wouldn't give you the
bottleneck of "we rely only on this hardware," but you could totally
still begin by deploying XOs if that's your ideal situation. This would
basically decouple your choice of hardware from your choice of software
(Sugar also runs on multiple Linux distros) and give you more
flexibility. (It does assume, however, that you want to use Sugar at
least in part, which I realize might not be a given.)

I suppose one thing I'm trying to ask is what exactly is it that people
here would like to go for - is it XO machines running Sugar in specific?
1-to-1 open-source computing for k-12 education in general? Somewhere in
between?

--Mel