[OLPC-Philippines] OLPC Ph Jan.31 meeting

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 05:21:47 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The initial aim of the VectorLinux community was to create a distro which
>> could run on older platforms (e.g. 486's and early Pentiums) so that old
>> pc's donated to schools and other institutions could still be put to good
>> use.  The result was a very fast Slack-based distro which ran on standard
>> x86 systems.  I am not familiar with the Geode but since it is x86
>> compatible, the speed should be more than satisfactory.
>
> Precisely. I don't think Ubuntu and Fedora can make early linux claims
> and run on those kinds of machines anymore. I don't know if it's just
> memories colored by nostalgia, but my old Pentium 233MMX +  Win98
> seemed to perform snappier than XO OS (Fedora + Sugar) and Teapot's
> Ubuntu on the XO.

It's not the OS that's slow its the non replacable NAND Flash of the
XO that is slow. Try running the OS from the stick or SD and you'll
get a snappier performance.

>> Porting it to the XO shouldn't be a problem.  I guess the biggest issue
>> would be which UI to use.
>
> Much to your chagrin, XFCE is probably the best and not IceWM (or
> LXDE). The biggest consideration is that I believe XFCE has more
> support than those other lightweight window managers.
>
> Kent, next steps in porting VectorLinux?
>
> Could you do this yourself?
>
> If not, can you get in touch with your old VectorLinux contacts and
> see if anyone could see about porting VectorLinux?

You can try lightweight DEs and WMs. I've personally tried a bunch and
they work great. Even Window Maker will fly.

--
Jerome G.

Blog: http://blog.gotangco.com