[OLPC-Philippines] Stallman and OLPC

James Shields james at marasbaras.com
Sat Oct 11 02:43:29 EDT 2008

Regarding content in general, the schools which I've visited sorely lacked
books.  Their "libraries" were tiny with single copies of each book, MAYBE
two.

Seems like the first thing to do is to get textbooks into the hands of the
kids via the XO.

Now, what I say next I want people to read in the best possible light.  I've
been to these barangays, I've seen the deep levels of poverty and the
desperation in some of their eyes (this is why I keep going back donating my
time and what resources I can).  What I say next is not meant to shed a bad
light on ANYONE ... just a question about KEEPING the XO in the hands of the
child.

What can be done to prevent the sale or pawning of the XO?  Even a few
hundred pesos could be very tempting to a family faced with no food.  I know
that I would do just about anything to ensure the health and welfare of my
wife and son.  I would not find fault in others for doing so themselves.

Everything we might create is worthless if the children don't have the XO.

Also, has anyone locally looked into alternative power generation for the
laptop?  I know that even small rises in the power bills can really hit
these families hard.  The recent rice growing seasons have been hit with bad
weather (my father-in-law lost 80% of his tapol (red sticky rice)).  <---
you can tell I'm a programmer, nested parenthesis :)

James Shields