[Olpc-philippines] XOs in the Philippines

Mel Chua mel at laptop.org
Thu Jan 31 16:11:31 EST 2008

> Hello fellow XO enthusiasts. I'm a member of a progressive church you
> never heard of - Unitarian Universalists. We have two churches in Manila

Actually, some of my best friends from high school (I grew up in
Chicago; my parents immigrated from Manila) were UU. I wasn't aware
there were UU congregations in the Philippines, though!

You may be interested in the Religion section of the library, and
perhaps contributing some content there.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Collections#Religion

> How can I help?

How do you want to help?

We need to nucleate a solid project with concrete, short-term goals in
the Philippines, whether that's a Jam, a pilot, or a summer internship
to offer to interested local students working on projects. Since OLPC is
very, very small in terms of both finances and people, it's going to be
the grassroots groups in any given country (you!) who step up and make
things happen. I've dropped the ball on this in the past... it's hard to
nucleate a movement in the Philippines when you're working full time in
the US.

What needs to happen is for people actually in the Philippines to stand
up and say "Okay, this pilot needs to happen," or "Okay, this conference
needs to have OLPC stuff in it," or "Okay, we need to get students from
this class to illustrate children's books in Tagalog for their final art
project." And then do it. People will be listening in on this list to
offer help, pointers to resources, introductions, etc. but it's really
up to the folks who want things to happen to start doing them. The
meeting Charles Chen just proposed setting up is an *excellent* start -
when you get together, start thinking of projects, post them to the
list, begin writing them up on the wiki.

Another thought is to schedule a chat time where people interested in
OLPC Philippines can meet online - we haven't done this yet - and it's
easier than flying everyone from all their different towns (and
countries!) in to Manila. If people are free this coming Sunday (Feb 3)
afternoon at 8pm Manila time (7am EST in the United States) I'll be on
chat then and we can try to get some concrete projects going as well. Go
on #olpc-groups at that time if you want to be in that conversation -
it's an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net. The easiest way to do this is
to go to http://en.forum.laptop.org/chat/, sign in (no need to make a
login), and then type "/join #olpc-groups" (no quotes) once you log in.
[[IRC]] (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/IRC) has more information if you want
to use a chat program rather than your browser.

Some parting words based on my experiences with OLPC grassroots activity
over the past year: don't overcentralize - not everything needs to be
under a single "OLPC PHILIPPINES!" banner - everything is grassroots
here, and any chapter started by any school or group of people is
equally "official." (Or rather, things are as official as you make them
out to be.) There *should* be many independent, yet communicating (via
this mailing list) project groups working on entirely different things;
try to avoid creating organizational bottlenecks and hierarchies, find
local sponsors, sources of funding and help...

But more importantly, do things. Propose things. Don't ask for
permission - find your own way to make things happen.

-Mel (mchua on IRC, Mchua on the wiki)