[Olpc-open] Initiative and networking equipment

David Syk david+olpc at syk.se
Wed Jan 9 12:54:19 EST 2013

Hi,

If I understand your message, you might have used computer equipment to
> offer?

That is correct, i guess that what might be most bang for the buck is
networking equipment and perhaps servers (if there is a need?).
A first batch of equipment could contain;
Cisco Catalyst 2950 Switch (24p 10/100 and 2*1ge fixed cupper uplink,
ws-c2950t-24)
Cisco Catalyst 2950 Switch (48p 10/100 and 2*1ge fixed multimode (mtrj),
ws-c2950sx-48)
Paradyne Bitstream 2600 ADSL2+ DLSAMs (24port ADSL2+, up to 26mbps)
Cisco Multimode GBICs
HP DL380g4 servers
Cisco AP 1010 and 1020

Once i get a feeling for whats needed i might be able to find a sponsor for
that stuff.

OLPC's efforts involve independent pilot projects and larger
> government-supported efforts. So we would have to 'get the word out' to the
> various groups and see who needs equipment and the logistics of getting it
> from 'point A' to 'point B'. There are people in various parts of Africa,
> South America, India, Australia, etc. who might be interested. Some might
> need power strips, WAPs, Hubs, etc.

It seems that logistics might have been solved by a friend of mine, but it
all depends on what stuff to send, and where...
So if you hear about any pilot project in the need of network equipment,
drop me a line, or drop them a line and tell them about me.

Best regards,
David Syk