[Olpc-open] Initiative and networking equipment

Kevin Mark kevin.mark at verizon.net
Mon Jan 7 02:39:12 EST 2013

--- On Sun, 1/6/13, David Syk <david at syk.se> wrote:

From: David Syk <david at syk.se>
Subject: [Olpc-open] Initiative and networking equipment
To: olpc-open at lists.laptop.org
Date: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 7:22 AM

Hi,
I've been watching the OLPC project from a distance since 2008 or 2009 when i first read about it.It sure is amazing!
I havent had time to read all documentation and mail-threads, but from what i can understand there might be some need out there for network equipment such as ADSL2 -DSLAM's, switches and WiFi equipment.
Given the right circumstances i might be able to help with that.
I'm not talking about hundreds of switches or access-points, but to begin with at least some of the equipment used for world scout jamboree 2011 in Sweden, http://www.worldscoutjamboree.se/ and possibly other sponsors.

If there is some smaller deployment out there that could benefit from this, drop me a line and describe your needs.

Hi from a support-gang member (one of various olpc volunteers)!
If I understand your message, you might have used computer equipment to offer?
OLPC's efforts involve independent pilot projects and larger government-supported efforts. So we would have to 'get the word out' to the various groups and see who needs equipment and the logistics of getting it from 'point A' to 'point B'. There are people in various parts of Africa, South America, India, Australia, etc. who might be interested. Some might need power strips, WAPs, Hubs, etc.
-Kev